Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, or RTF document file format.
The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines (i.e., the manuscript and references are formatted according to the guidelines of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association 7th Edition).
The submission adheres to the ethical requirements of the American Psychological Association’s Ethical Principles on Research and Publication.
Article types: We accept empirical studies and reviews/meta-analyses. To foster open discourse in the field, commentaries are also welcome.
- Regular article.
- There is no word limit for regular articles, though authors are encouraged to be concise where possible.
- Brief report.
- 2500 word limit (excluding the title, abstract, end-text references, tables, and figures). Maximum of 3 tables/figures.
- 1000 word limit (excluding the title, end-text references, tables, and figures).
Preparing and Submitting your manuscript: Submitted articles should be formatted according to the guidelines of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association 7th Edition.
Abstracts for regular articles or brief reports should be 200 words or less. Please also provide 4-6 key words below the abstract.
The following documents should be submitted via the submission portal:
- A cover letter. Mentioning the type of article you are submitting (regular article, brief report, commentary), the word count for the body of the manuscript, and a brief description of why you think the manuscript is a good fit for the journal.
- A title page. Including author details, affiliations, contact details for the corresponding author, a conflict of interest statement, a declaration of funding statement, and acknowledgements.
- A masked manuscript file (i.e., author identities masked for review). Containing the abstract, manuscript, references, tables, and figures. Tables and Figures should be placed within the text, rather than at the end.
- If relevant, supplementary materials can be submitted as separate files (e.g., data, code, additional tables/figures).
Ethics: Submitted manuscripts must adhere to the American Psychological Association’s Ethical Principles on Research and Publication. Authors should include within the manuscript a statement about the research receiving ethics approval.
Copyright: In line with an open science philosophy, we publish manuscripts under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license. Authors retain the copyright for their work.
Use of third-party material: If you are using third-party material in your manuscript (i.e., you do not own the copyright), you must obtain permission from the copyright holder for use of this material prior to submitting to the journal. In such instances, we require that you notify us and provide proof that the copyright holder has given this permission.
Section default policy
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.